Hey! Thanks for stopping by my little piece of the internet; I’m so glad you’re here. I’m Abby – a 20-something working professional living, loving, and enjoying a cocktail (or five) in Houston, Texas. Here, you’ll find my thoughts on the many books I read – the good, the bad, and the ugly. I can’t promise that my reviews will be perfect or as eloquent as I would always like, but I can promise that they will always be thoughtful, honest, and filled with compassion for you – the reader – and for the authors and publishers who work so hard to put books out into the world. So, welcome; let’s get to readin’ some great books!
If you’re on Instagram, follow me there @bookmarkedbya for even more book talk, peeks into my day-to-day life, + pictures of my fluffy child, Murphy. + you can always stay up to date with what I’m currently reading on Goodreads!
As I’m sure has become quite clear to you, I love to read. I always think to myself that I will never truly be bored again because I have books – isn’t that so cool?! No? Just me? That’s cool. I enjoy reading almost every genre – fiction and nonfiction – and love to branch out and read a variety of books by a diverse array of authors. My favorite kinds of books, broadly, are those that elicit strong emotions – heartbreak, anger, stress, etc. – or that introduce me to a new perspective or help me better understand lives and cultures unlike my own.
You’ll get to know more of my reading taste as you spend time here and at @bookmarkedbya, but I wanted to share some random, not necessarily reading-related facts with you about myself to kick our relationship off on a fun note!
- I live with my high school sweetheart, Matt, and our rescue pup, Murphy. We have fun.
- Murphy is a mutt and I don’t know his breed mix, but here’s my best guess – chow, golden retriever or Irish setter, squirrel, small bear, fox, human baby?
- I graduated with a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Michigan in 2016 (go blue!), where I majored in Communications and minored in Digital Studies.
- In 2019, I read 100+ books, whereas in 2018, I read 21. When I commit to something, I go all in, apparently!
- I’m a technical writer (kind of) by profession. I work at a small tech company and I love my coworkers.
- I’ve lived in Texas (other than when I went to Michigan for college) since I was four. I do not have a southern accent and I hate how hot it is.
- Like my grandfather, father, and sister, I can sing and whistle exceptionally well (humble brag). It runs in the family, and the whistling in particular is a very fun party trick.
- I don’t care much for music – I’d much prefer to have TV or an audio book on in the background – but my favorite artists are John Mayer, Kasey Musgraves, Harry Styles (solo, not One Direction), John Legend, and Taylor Swift.
- I have a troubling obsession with house plants – only troubling because they’re $$ and taking over our apartment.
- I recently found yoga, and it has become my favorite activity – after reading, of course. My favorite poses are half moon and sphinx and my least favorite is high crescent.
- Having grown up just outside of Houston, I live close to my family and spend a lot of time with my mom and extended family.
I hope that Bookmarked by A can be your go-to space for book recommendations, a reliable resource for content warnings (I have them for every book), and a source of inspiration to pick up a book – whether you read every day, are an exclusively airplane reader, or haven’t picked up a book since grade school. And please feel free to reach out via Contact or Instagram – I’d love to chat all things books and life with you!